A Check-Off is a method used by many industries to research and promote their products.
These types of campaigns are from the industries such as dairy, meat, agriculture, etc. as opposed to individual producers or brand marketers. These programs are called “Check Off” as a result of section of a form that individual marketers and producers checked off if they wanted to participate in an industry promo and the name stuck.
The benefit to people like us is while industries work at increasing demand for the various products they offer, they create public awareness by providing educational materials, programs, festivals, events, and money-saving offers. Some Check-Offs have government sponsorship that provide funding to expand an industry’s or commodity’s market, increase sales for a variety of commodities, provides informational and promotional activities.
The US Government created the Commodity Promotion, Research, and Information Act in 1996. The National Agriculture Law Center provides an overview of Checkoff programs. Those industries or agencies that are involved with a government-sponsored Check Off program will be eligible for funds that can only be used for promotional programs.
So, I thought it might be helpful to offer info about Check Off events and campaigns. As I find them, I will post the info so everyone can benefit.
Education, Festivals, Industries that Successfully Used Check-Off Program:
- Avocados: About Hass Avocados / Haas vs. Hass
- Beef Board: It’s What’s for Dinner (usually via television ads). Check out the Beef Promo Archives to see other ways they attempted to capture attention.
- Cattlemen’s Beef Board
- Blueberries: US Blueberry Council; North American Blueberry Council
- Concrete Masonry Check off
- Corn: American Ethanol Racing; Best Food Facts
- Cotton Board
- Dairy: Dairy Organization; Dairy Good; Dairy Check-Off Works
- Eggs: The Incredible, Edible Egg / Listen to the jingle
- Grains: US Grains Council; Find Whole Grains
- Honey: Natural Wonders of Honey / Benefits of Honey
- Lamb Checkoff
- Mangos (National Mango Board): How to Cut a Mango / Get to Know Mangos / Promos
- Milk: Got Milk? (usually in paper media such as magazines) / Got Milk? Ads from around the world
- Mushroom Council
- Nutrients for Life Foundation: Nutrients for Life
- Peanuts: National Peanut Board / History of Peanuts and Peanut Butter / Fun Facts
- Popcorn: Popcorn Board / Popcorn Checkoff
- Pork: The Other White Meat / Be Inspired
- Potatoes: US Potato Board; Potato History and Fun Facts
- Soybeans: United Soybean Board
- Watermelons: National Watermelon Promotion Board; Fun Facts and FAQs; Watermelon Recipes
- National Agricultural Law Center: http://nationalaglawcenter.org/overview/checkoff/
- Industries listed above